Saturday, September 18, 2010

Raw Halvah Candy

I made this during the holidays and put it into a very pretty rectangular gift box that had a lid. I just cut it into little squares about 1" in size. It made a wonderful dessert offering at gatherings during that time of year and a great gift also. It tastes great anytime but I have great memories of sharing this then and will probably do it again this year :-) Take note: Seseme seeds are one of the best sources of calcium I know of. Unlike dairy products, the calcium in seseme seeds can actually be absorbed and utilized by the body for many important functions. If you're interested in learning more about why calcium in dairy products cannot be absorbed by our body and how dairy actually washes calcium out of our bones, let me know. I'd be happy to share more info on that one!

Raw Halvah

1 cup seseme seeds (can use tahini if you don't have a powerful food processor)
2 tablespoons raw honey
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
1 tablespoon raw carob powder (optional)

Line a small box (about 4x3 inches) with wax paper and press in the mixture. Put in the refrigerator to chill for an hour or so, take out, and slice into cubes.

Makes about 1 dozen 1" cubes.

I've made this with just carob powder and no vanilla and I've made it with just vanilla and no carob powder. They are both tasty variations--just different flavors and colors. If you make the light colored vanilla kind, using hulled seseme seeds works best. If you're making the carob flavor ,you can used unhulled or hulled. Unhulled seseme seeds have WAY more calcium then hulled ones, I've learned :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment