Sunday, September 26, 2010

Quick and Easy Salad Dressing for Tossed Green Salad

**This dressing was modified from the the dressing that we've used for many years which previously used cold pressed olive oil instead of sesame seeds. When I was changing over into a new life, I decided to avoid the use of free fats of any kind because of my need to drop weight. I had a particularly difficult challenge in the first 3 months because I had also decided to avoid avocadoes, nuts and olives temporarily until such a time that I was well on my way to a lighter me. At first I had a really difficult time finding a salad dressing that I liked. First I tried just leaving the oil out but this didn't work at all because it was an important ingredient for distributing the flavor of the seasonings and bringing out the flavor of the salad. Then one day a friend mentioned that she loved toasted sesame seeds on salad--that it somehow brought out the flavor of the salad and added a really satisfying touch to it. I let that settle into my mind for a couple weeks and eventually it led me to ask the question, "I wonder what raw sesame seeds would taste like on the salad.... Hmmm..." So I tried grinding them in my coffee grinder just like I do with my flax seed to make meal and just poured some on the salad along with all the other ingredients listed below. Wow! is all I can say... The rest is history. I really thank God for leading me to discover this recipe--it is such a gift from Him. It has been a very important part of me feeling satisfied and enjoying my daily salads :-) Hope it's a blessing to you as well.

Juice of one large organic lemon or 2 limes
1-2 Tablespoons sesame meal (I grind my sesame seeds in a small coffee grinder into meal and keep some on hand in the freezer always)
2 teaspoons Vegesal (Spike brand seasoned salt)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dill (fresh or dry)
2 teaspoons raw agave nectar

I pour all this directly onto a medium to large bowl of green salad and toss it very well with salad tongs. Serve immediately. It's still my very favorite! Somehow I've noticed that it brings the flavor out of all the veges and/or sprouted legumes (I sprout lentils, mung beans, adzuki beans and alfalfa/clover/radish and add them to my salads) that are in the salad when it's tossed into the salad beforehand. Also, I don't measure anything--just put approximate measurements here so that you can have a general idea of amounts. Feel free to experiment with the balance of the ingredients to see which combination works best for your taste! It's a recipe that can be totally custom designed as far as seasonings also. Sometimes I run out of a certain seasoning or want to try adding something new and different which I do. It's fun to change it up once in a while for a new and interesting taste adventure :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment