Hazelnut Fig Crackers with Sage and Black Pepper
- 1 cup hazelnuts, ground fine in food processor
- 2 cups almonds, ground fine in food processor*
- 1 cup raw oat flour
- 1/2 cup ground golden flax
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dried sage
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups dried black mission figs, chopped fine
- Himalayan salt and cracked pepper to taste
1. Stir together ground hazelnuts, almonds, oat flour, flax, cinnamon and sage. Mix well.
2. Add water and knead into “dough”.
3. Knead chopped dried figs into dough until well blended. Roll or press to 1/4 inch thick sheet and score or cut into squares.
4. Transfer onto screens and dehydrate for 1 hour at 145 degrees, reduce heat and dehydrate for another 14-20 hours at 115 until very dry. Don’t worry about the higher temp in the beginning, the food is only throwing off moisture and will not heat up.
*I presoaked my almonds to remove the enzyme inhibitors and then dehydrate (dry) them for storage. You can read more here: Soaking Nuts and SeedsHoney Walnut Spread
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 6 hours, rinsed and drained.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, soaked until soft, rinsed and drained (can use another 1/2 of cashews)
- 3 tablespoons raw honey (honey is not vegan)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Place cashews, pine nuts lemon juice and honey in food processor. Process until smooth.
2. Stir in walnuts by hand.