Friday, January 21, 2011

Raw Coconut Macaroons

These were wonderful around the holidays to replace the macaroons I used to make traditionally. What made them very delicious was the raw honey that I got from my brother-in-law Jeff. He has bees and they produce the most delicious raw honey I think I've ever tasted! Even though I am giving you the original recipe, feel free to use less honey. When I followed it exactly, the cookies were too sweet for me. Experiment with how much honey works for you. You need a certain amount to bind them. I used half as much and it still worked fine. You may be able to use all dates and leave out the honey altogether. I've never tried it but dates are very sticky and would also probably work as a binder. I think the next time I make them I will try it just to see how it works.

2-1/4 cup shredded organic coconut
2 Medjool dates
1/2 cup raw honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Blend ingredients in food processor. Roll into small balls, flatten to about 3/4 inch. Place on the mesh shelf of the dehydrator and dehydrate at 105 degrees for 6-8 hours--longer if you want a crunchy outer shell.

Variations:
1)Dip in chocolate ganache (put in freezer for it to harden)--see Cranberry Pecan Torte for recipe -- I did this and it was heavenly!
2) Add 3 strawberries for strawberry coconut macaroons
3) Add 1/2 orange (juiced) for orange coconut macaroons
4) Add 1/4 lemon (juiced) for lemon coconut macaroons
5) Add 1/2 Tablespoon raw carob powder for carob coconut macaroons
6) Add 1 Tablespoon raw almond butter or 1/4 cup chopped almonds for nutty coco macs

www.fromsadtoraw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment