Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Typical Day in the RAW!!!

Upon rising:

Drink 3-4 cups filtered water with the juice of 1/4-1/2 lemon or lime in it WHILE reading the Bible, praying and journaling. Every other day I take 2 PB8 capsules with my water (probiotics).

After this settles, I go exercise heavily.  Then I come home, shower vigorously with hot and cold water.  Then get dressed and ready for the day.

Breakfast:

Green Smoothie--see recipe in Sept. 2010 (I also add 2 tbsp of ground flax seed to just a small portion of it and eat it like a pudding. 

If I didn't exercise at all or only very lightly, I would have only the green smoothie for breakfast but since I'm usually marathon training, I need complex carbohydrates to give my body sustained energy for a longer period of time.  For this reason I also have ONE of these options listed here as additional nutrients for my day:

A small bowl of oatmeal fresh with raw granola sprinkled on top and a little raw almond date milk
OR
2-3 pieces of raw bread with raw almond butter and raisin or raw fruit jam
OR
1 banana sliced into a bowl with raw granola sprinkled on top with a little raw almond milk

Then throughout the day I drink filtered water very generously in between meals--always try to wait at least an hour after eating before drinking water so that the food digests well without the dilution of water for the digestive juices of the stomach.  4 quarts a day is usual for me but sometimes more or less depending on my activity level or the climate.

Lunch:
A Big Green Salad with lentil or mung bean sprouts--see dressing recipes in the early part of my blog of 2010
OR
Broccoli Raisin Sunflower Seed Salad
OR
Raw Cabbage Slaw with lentil sprouts

Again, if I qualified for the category of couch potato or didn't exercise very much, that's all I would eat for lunch.  But since I'm not in that category at all, I usually add

Raw crackers with raw hummus
OR
Raw falafels with raw sour cream
OR
Raw Soup

on the side for extra carbohydrates for energy, protein for rebuilding and fat for the purpose of oiling my machine and helping everything to function smoothly so to say. 

I like adding fresh alfalfa or clover sprouts to top the crackers or sometimes slices of avocadoes, tomatoes or fresh salsaCilantro and red onions are also some of my favorite ways to add flavor and color to my side dishes.

Some of my favorite raw soups are raw corn chowder, thai coconut soup and there's a new one I'm going to try called creamy asparagus soup.  I just had a client give me some wonderful fresh, organic asparagus from her garden that I will use to make this!

Very light supper:
Fresh organic fruit or fruit smoothie only OR if I'm still hungry I add to this some raw bread or crackers

Continue to hydrate with filtered water throughout the evening before bed and sometimes for a treat I drink a hot cup of herbal tea... with stevia or raw agave or honey for sweetening.  I like peppermint, chamomile, Tazo Passion, ginger or India Spice flavors of tea.  I've learned to make the India Spice tea into something like I used to drink at Starbucks called a chai latte.  I just use one india spice tea bag and one ginger tea bag and then add a little raw almond milk along with the sweetening.  Mmmmm.... Very warm and comforting.

**The principle to remember is that the closer we consume food to it's fresh, whole and natural state, the more nutrients it will have for a body's to use for cleansing, rebuilding, repair and energy!  Look for the plant the food grew on and it you can find it and it's still pretty close to the whole food form, you are making a good choice.  If it hasn't been heated above 110 degrees F, you are actually assimilating close to 100% of the available nutrients.  If it has been heated hotter, then you are only getting about 20% of the nutrients because an average of 80% of the nutrients and 100% of the enzymes has been destroyed in cooked food.  This doesn't allow your body to process and utilize them very well and there is more waste and debris left in your system to get rid of.  Over time this can cause many health challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment